Chances are, you've seen a higher-than-average amount of millennials staring at their smartphones this week while roaming sidewalks, parks, and other public areas and heard the buzz around the Pokémon GO phenomenon. In short, Pokémon GO is an augmented reality game based on the 90s Nintendo classic, Pokémon. Unlike your average mobile game or attention-sucking app, Pokémon GO is actually getting people to get moving. Your avatar cannot move in the game unless you're moving in real life, new Pokémon eggs "hatch" only when you've walked a predetermined distance with the app open, and, most importantly, you must walk to reach PokéStops and Gyms - that's right … real, local businesses.
As a business-owner, you'd be happy to find that one of these PokéStops or Gyms is located near you. Users flock to these locations on their own accord so that they can collect new game items, increase their points to level up, or battle other players for Gym supremacy. Simultaneously, every user is on the hunt for Pokémon. As you've probably heard, the ultimate goal is to Catch 'Em All. Niantic, The Pokémon Company's crucial partner behind the app, have made an in-game purchase play at making it easier to catch more Pokémon.
According to New York Post, L'inizio, a New York City pizza bar, used a Lure at their neighboring PokéStop, and business spiked by 75%. Using Lure on a PokéStop attracts Pokémon to that area for 30 minutes. Users came into L'inizio to catch more Pokémon but stayed for some pizza and beer while the Lure was active, thus spending money and generating revenue.
How can You Get In On The Action? Create A Lure at Your Pokéstop
- Download the Pokémon app (free) for your iOS or Android device, open it, and create an account from the App Store or Google Play.
- Tap the Pokéball icon to access the menu, then open up the Shop. The Shop's currency is PokéCoins, which you can buy for real actual dollars, which can be found at the bottom of the Shop. If you buy 1,200 PokéCoins for $9.99, you can buy the pack of 8 Lure Modules for 680 PokéCoins.
- Locate the closest PokéStop. When a PokéStop is in range, it will turn into a large circular icon, whereas the PokéStops that are too far away (meaning you must walk to them to unlock them) are blue cubes.
- Tap into the active PokéStop and touch the white space above the spinning circle (it will resemble the shape of the Lure Module).
- Confirm that you want to use your Lure Module.
- It's active for 30 minutes! The PokéStop will have pink confetti around it while it's active, which is how all nearby users will know that's the place to be!
Let us know if you've tried your luck at luring your customers with Lure! Stay tuned for tomorrow's post to find out some free ways to use Pokémon GO to drive foot traffic to your local business. Who knew the only thing it took to get people off their couches was the chance to catch a Pikachu ?!