The mission of Alignable is to connect the world’s local businesses and organizations to enable them to be more productive and successful. To achieve our Mission, we make services available through our website, mobile applications, and developer platform, to help you, your connections, and your community meet, exchange ideas, learn, make deals, or find opportunities and make decisions in a network of trusted relationships and groups.
Being part of Alignable means sharing information about yourself with other individuals and businesses, communicating with them, as well as working privately on your own. By default, your account is set up to share the information that we have found the vast majority of our Users are interested in sharing. But the amount and type of information you decide to share, and with whom you share it, is up to you.
Here are the three main types of information on Alignable:
Information about yourself that you share.
This is the information that your connections, other businesses, and organizations see about you. This includes your profile and your contributions to discussions on Alignable Groups, Answers, or other community features Alignable may offer such as “Profile Stats” which, if you choose to opt-in, can show you who viewed your profile (and will show others when you visited their profiles). You have control over what you share, and you can update information at any time.
We help you communicate with connections and other businesses and organizations. Some of this is one-to-one, some of it is in groups, and some of it is public discussion. You decide how much or how little you wish to communicate to individuals or groups.
We also provide tools that you can use privately on Alignable (for example, searching, or adding notes to your connections information.) These actions and information are private and we don't share or distribute them to others on the website.
Of course, maintaining your trust is our top concern, so we adhere to the following principles to protect your privacy:
We do not rent, sell, or otherwise provide your personally identifiable information to third parties without your consent, except as described in this policy or as required by law
We do not share any information you have not chosen to display on your Alignable profile to other parties, unless compelled by law, or as necessary to enforce our User Agreement or protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Alignable, its Users, and the public
All information that you provide will be protected with industry standard protocols and technology.
Please read this policy and send us questions, concerns and suggestions
1. Information collected by Alignable.
2. How Alignable uses your information.
3. Your information choices.
4. Your obligations as a User.
5. Important information regarding service eligibility and US Department of Commerce Safe Harbor certification.
7. How to contact us.
1. Information Collected
The mission of Alignable is to connect the world’s local businesses and organizations to enable them to be more productive and successful. To achieve our Mission, we make services available through our website, mobile applications, and developer platform, premium services, and other information provided as part of the Alignable services (“Services”) to enable you, your connections, and your community to meet, exchange ideas, learn, make deals, or find opportunities, create, share, and distribute information in collaboration with one another, and make decisions in a network of trusted relationships and groups.
We collect your personal information in the following ways:
1. Registration: In order to become a User, you must provide us the following information to create an account: name, email address, business, address, country, and password. Without this minimal amount of information, you cannot create aAlignable account. Like other passwords, you should choose one that is known only by you. Alignable requests other information from you during the registration process, (e.g., industry, location, etc.) that Alignable uses to provide better, more customized services such as language-specific profile pages and updates, better ads, and more valuable marketing opportunities. You acknowledge that this information is personal to you, and by creating an account on Alignable; you allow others, including Alignable, to identify you and to allow LI to use your information in accordance with our User Agreement.
4. Customer Service: We collect information when you interact with Alignable’s website in order to accurately categorize and respond to customer inquiries and investigate breaches of our terms.
5. Using the Alignable Site and Applications: We receive information when you interact with and use the Alignable website, Alignable Applications (e.g. Alignable for iPhone, Android, etc.), and Alignable platform technology (such as “Share on Alignable” plugins for publishers). For example, we know when you click on ads, upload content, join groups, participate in polls, install aAlignable mobile application, share content on Alignable, etc.
6. Using Third Party Services and Visiting Third Party Sites: We receive information when you use your Alignable account to log in or authenticate to a third-party website or application. Also, if you are logged into Alignable and visit a third party site that embeds Alignable professional plugins, like “Share on Alignable” for web publishers, Alignable will receive information that those pages have loaded in your web browser. Alignable will use this information to personalize the Alignable-provided functionality, including providing you insights from your Alignable network, allowing you to share information with your network, enabling you to use Alignable functionality off the Alignable site and serving you more relevant advertising. Users wishing to disable this personalization may
of this feature. Alignable’s retention of this data is addressed in Section 1.K.
8. Advertising and Web Beacons: To support the Services we provide at no cost to our Users, as well as provide a more relevant and useful experience for our Users, we target and serve our own ads and third-party ads both on and off the site using ad networks. Ad networks include third party ad servers, ad agencies, ad exchanges, ad technology vendors and research firms. We target ads to Users based on general profile categories (e.g., “product managers in Texas”) or on non-personally identifiable information inferred from a User’s profile (e.g., industry, current or former business, years in business, nationality, or other aspects of your life) in addition to a User’s use of Alignable or their clicking on Alignable ad inventory. Alignable does not provide personally identifiable information to any third party ad network. We use ad technology such as web beacons, pixels, anonymous ad network tags, and cookies to more effectively serve ads to our Users on and off Alignable through ad networks, as well as to collect anonymized, aggregated auditing, research and reporting for advertisers. Because your web browser requests advertisements and web beacons directly from ad network servers, these networks can view, edit or set their own cookies, just as if you had requested a web page from their site. You may opt-out of ads served to you off Alignable
, by turning off “Advertising Preferences.” If you opt-out you may lose certain functionality of the Alignable Services, as well as the potential benefit of receiving ads that are targeted to your interests which, in turn, may limit your ability to fully realize the benefits of the Alignable Services to build and leverage your professional network.
9. Log files, IP Addresses and information about your computer and mobile device: Due to the communications standards on the internet, when you visit the Alignable website we automatically receive the URL of the site from which you came and the site to which you are going when you leave Alignable. Additionally, advertisers receive the URL of the page you were on when you click on an ad on Alignable. Alignable also receives the internet protocol (“IP”) address of your computer (or the proxy server you use to access the World Wide Web), your computer operating system and type of web browser you are using, email patterns, your mobile device (including your UDID) and mobile operating system (if you are accessing Alignable using a mobile device), as well as the name of your ISP or your mobile carrier. Alignable may also receive location data passed to it from third-party services or GPS-enabled devices that you have enabled. Also, as described above in Sections 1.E. and 1.F., Alignable receives information when you access web pages containing Alignable interactive plugins, such as “Share on Alignable” or “Connect with Alignable” functionality. You can control the collection and use of this information here. The link between your IP address and your personally identifiable information is not shared with third parties without your permission, except as described in Section 2.L (“Compliance with Legal Process”), below.
10. Rights to Access, Correct and Eliminate Information About You: You have a right to access, modify, correct and eliminate the data you supplied to Alignable. If you update any of your information, we may keep a copy of the information that you originally provided to us in our archives for uses documented in this policy. You may request deletion of your information at any time by
contacting Alignable customer service.
We will respond to your request within 30 days. Please note, however that information you have shared with others, or that other Users have copied, may also remain visible even if you request its deletion.
11. Data Retention: Alignable will retain your information for so long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services, except in the case of our professional plugin impression data, which we de-identify after 12 months. If you wish to close your account, you may do so
We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce this Agreement.
2. Uses of personal information
closing your account
, but please note that your withdrawal of consent will not be retroactive.
2. Alignable Communications: As described in the User Agreement, we will communicate with you through email, notices posted on the Alignable website, messages to your Alignable inbox, or through other means available through the service, including mobile text messages. We may send you a series of emails that help inform new Users about the features of the Services, and we will also send you service messages relating to the functioning of the Services. We may also send you messages with promotional information directly or on behalf of our partners, unless you have opted out of receiving promotional information. You can change your e-mail and contact preferences at any time by logging into your account and changing your settingsrelated to your email notification choices. If you wish, you can also opt-out of receiving promotional emails by sending a
to Alignable customer service. Please be aware that you cannot opt-out of receiving service messages from Alignable. Also, if we send communications to you via the carrier service with which you have a mobile communications subscription or otherwise have access, you understand you will pay any service fees associated with your receipt of messages on your mobile device (including text messaging charges).
3. User Communications: Many communications you initiate through Alignable (e.g., an invitation sent to a non-User) will list your primary email address and name in the header of the message. Messages you initiate may also provide aggregate information about your network (for instance how many people are in your network), but will not list the people to whom you’re directly connected. Other communications that you initiate through the Alignable website, like a request for an introduction, will list your name as the initiator but will not include your personal email address contact information. Your contact information will only be shared with another User if both of you have indicated that you would like to establish contact with each other.
4. Customized Content: We use information you provide to us (or to third parties with whom Alignable offers combined services) to customize your experience on our website. For example, when you login to your account, we will display the names of new Users who have recently joined your network or recent status updates from your connections.
5. Sharing Information with Third Parties: Alignable takes the privacy of our Users very seriously, and we do not sell, rent, or otherwise provide your personally identifiable information to third parties, except as described in this policy. We will also not share other personal information not published to your profile or generated through engagement with other Alignable services (Groups, Joins, Company Pages, etc.) without your explicit consent or to carry out your instructions (for example, to process payment information) unless, disclosure is reasonably necessary in our opinion to: (1) comply with legal process, including, but not limited to, civil and criminal subpoenas, court orders or other compulsory disclosures; (2) enforce this Agreement; (3) respond to claims of a violation of the rights of third parties, whether or not the third party is a User, individual, or government agency; (4) respond to customer service inquiries; or (5) protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Alignable, our Users or the public. Alignable offers a “public profile” feature that allows Users to publish portions of their Alignable profile to the public internet. This public profile will be crawled by and displayed through search engines when someone searches for your name. You may opt-out of this feature by editing your account settings; however, Alignable does not warrant how often third-party search engines will update their caches, which may contain old public profile information. Content distributed through Alignable’s sharing features and third party integrations may result in displaying some of your information outside of Alignable. For example, when you post content to aAlignable Group that is open for public discussion, your content, including your name as the contributor, may be displayed in search engine results. Or, if you have bound your Alignable account to your Twitter account, you can easily share content into both Alignable as well as to Twitter. We may provide aggregated anonymous data about the usage of the Services to third parties for purposes that we deem, in our sole discretion, to be appropriate, including to prospective advertisers on Alignable.
To report any suspected misuse of information, contact Alignable’s customer service. Alignable is not responsible for your use of or inability to use any Combined Service or Platform Application, including the content, accuracy, or reliability of applications and the privacy practices or other policies of Alignable Partners or Platform Developers.
7. Polls and Surveys: Polls and Surveys may be conducted by Alignable, Alignable Users or third parties. As a User, you may be invited to participate in polls and surveys from the Alignable website. Your selection may be random, or it may be based on your non-personally identifiable information, such as job title, geography, company size and/or industry. Whether or not you decide to participate in a poll or survey is completely up to you. After you complete a poll, you will be given access to the aggregate responses of the poll on a results page. Some third parties may target advertisements to you on the results page based on your answers in the poll. Further, Alignable or third parties may follow up with you via Alignable Messaging regarding your participation unless you have opted out of receiving messages. We may use third parties to deliver incentives to you to participate in surveys or polls. If the delivery of incentives requires your contact information, you may be asked to provide personally identifiable information to the third party fulfilling the incentive offer, which will only be used for the purpose of delivering incentives and/or verifying your contact information. It is up to you whether you provide this information, or whether you desire to take advantage of an incentive. We will not disclose any personally identifiable information to any third parties in connection with the conduct of any polls or surveys. Your consent to use any personally identifiable information for the purposes set forth in the poll or survey will be explicitly requested by the party conducting it.
8. Search: We offer search services to help find information and learn more about other Users (for example, you can search for Users with particular interests or marketing experience, or that you may know from your community or profession), as well as marketing opportunities. Alignable search also allows Users to find marketing opportunities, companies, and contributions to the community aspects of the Alignable Services, such as Groups and Answers that will help Users more effectively use Alignable and expand their network. We use information from User profiles and contributions to Groups, Company Pages, and Answers to inform and refine our search service.
9. Answers, Groups, and other Services: If you post on the Answers section of Alignable, participate in Alignable Groups, or import a blog, you should be aware that any personally identifiable information you choose to provide there can be read, collected, or used by other Users of these forums, as well as Platform Developers and other third parties, and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. Alignable is not responsible for the information you choose to submit in these forums. Also, some content in Alignable Groups may be public and searchable on the internet if the Group owner has opened the group for public discussions. You can delete your posts to Answers and Alignable Groups at any time. However, please note that ideas you post and information you share may be seen and used by other Users, and Alignable cannot guarantee that other Users have not made copies of or use the ideas and information that you share with others on Alignable.
10. Testimonials and Advertisements Placed through Alignable Ads Service: If you provide any testimonials about the Alignable Services or place advertisements through the Alignable Ads, we may post those testimonials and examples of advertisements you place in connection with our promotion of these services to third parties. Testimonials and advertisements may include your name and other personal information that you have provided.
11. Advertising and Endorsements on Alignable: In order to deliver relevant and valuable ads to you and your network, Alignable may use your name and profile photo in connection with social advertising based on content shared on Alignable. This advertising may include the fact that you have recommended or endorsed a product or service on Alignable, connected with a company, joined Groups or conversations, established or added content to your profile, etc., and will only be displayed to your Alignable network. You can opt-out of allowing your name and/or profile photo to be used in social ads
12. Compliance with Legal Process: It is possible that we may need to disclose personal information, profile information and/or information about your activities as a Alignable User when required by subpoena or other legal process, or if Alignable has a good faith belief that disclosure is necessary to (a) investigate, prevent or take action regarding suspected or actual illegal activities or to assist government enforcement agencies; (b) to enforce the User Agreement, to investigate and defend ourselves against any third party claims or allegations, or to protect the security or integrity of our site; and/or (c) to exercise or protect the rights, property or personal safety of Alignable, our Users, employees, or others.
13. Disclosures to Others as the Result of a Change in Control or Sale of Alignable Corporation: We may also disclose your personal information and other information you provide to another third party as part of a sale of the assets of Alignable Corporation, a subsidiary or division, or as the result of a change in control of the company. Any third party to which Alignable transfers or sells Alignable’s assets will have the right to continue to use the personal and other information that you provide to us.
3. Your Information Choices
1. Accessing and Changing Your Account Information: You can review the personal information you provided to us and make any desired changes to the information you publish, or to the settings for your Alignable account including your email and contact preferences, at any time by logging in to
on the Alignable website. Please be aware that even after your request for a change is processed, Alignable may, for a time, retain residual information about you in its backup and/or archival copies of its database.
2. Default Settings: Because the mission of Alignable is to connect the world’s local businesses to enable them to become more productive and successful, we have established what we believe to be reasonable default settings that we have found most professionals desire. Because Users may use and interact with Alignable in a variety of ways, and because those uses may change over time, we designed our settings to provide our users granular control over the information they share. We encourage our Users to review their account settings and adjust them in accordance with their preferences. Alignable accounts are also defaulted to allow Users to be contacted to participate in polls, surveys and partner advertising.
to change these settings.
3. Closing Your Account: You can close your account through the Alignable customer service site. If you close your Alignable account, we will remove your name and other personally identifiable information from our publicly viewable database. If you close your account, we have no obligation to retain your information, and may delete any or all of your account information without liability. However, we may retain certain data contributed by you if Alignable believes it may be necessary to prevent fraud or future abuse, or for legitimate business purposes, such as analysis of aggregated, non-personally identifiable data, account recovery, or if required by law. Alignable may also retain and use your information if necessary to provide the Services to other Users. For example, just as an email you may send to another person through an email service provider resides in that person’s inbox even after you delete it from your sent files or close your account, emails or Alignable Messages you send on Alignable to other Users, as well as your contributions to Alignable Answers or Groups, may remain visible to others after you have closed your account. Similarly, other information you have shared with others, or that other Users have copied, may also remain visible. Alignable disclaims any liability in relation to the deletion or retention (subject to the terms herein) of information or any obligation not to delete the information. Alignable does not control when search engines update their cache, which may contain certain public profile information that has since been removed from Alignable’s publicly viewable database.
4. Memorializing Accounts: If we learn that a User or business is no longer in business, we may memorialize the User’s account. In these cases we may restrict profile access, remove messaging functionality, and close an account if we receive a formal request from the User or other proper legal request to do so.
4. Your Obligations
As a User, you have certain obligations to other Users. Some of these obligations are imposed by applicable law and regulations, and others have become commonplace in user-friendly communities of like-minded members such as Alignable:
You must not download or otherwise disseminate any information that may be deemed to be injurious, violent, offensive, racist or xenophobic, or which may otherwise violate the purpose and spirit of Alignable and its community of Users.
You must not provide to Alignable and/or other Users information that you believe might be injurious or detrimental to your person or to your professional or social status.
You must keep your username and password confidential and not share it with others.
Any violation of these guidelines may lead to the restriction, suspension or termination of your account at the sole discretion of Alignable.
5. Important information
Children and Minors - Children under the age of 18 are not eligible to use our service.
close your account.
In order to help secure your personal information, access to your data on Alignable is password-protected, and sensitive data (such as credit card information) is protected by SSL encryption when it is exchanged between your web browser and the Alignable website. To protect any data you store on our servers, Alignable also regularly audits its system for possible vulnerabilities and attacks, and we use a tier-one secured-access data center. However, since the internet is not a 100% secure environment, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to Alignable. There is no guarantee that information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. It is your responsibility to protect the security of your login information. Please note that emails, instant messaging, and similar means of communication with other Users of Alignable are not encrypted, and we strongly advise you not to communicate any confidential information through these means.
8. How to contact us
or contact us at:
205 Portland Street
Boston, MA 02114